Career Development Theories
To appreciate career coaching practices, you will need to have a good understanding of career counselling theories. Theories can give career coaches a framework for working with clients, understanding and processing their stories within evidence practice. Theories can provide career coaches with a framework with in-depth knowledge for working with clients.
In the past, career development was regarded as a mechanical, linear process. The old three‐stage pattern of preparing for work, working, and retiring is fast disappearing.The new career management model is about helping people become healthy, self-reliant citizens to cope with constant change in rapidly changing work, labour markets and life to balance life and work roles.
This course covers several important theories to deepen your knowledge about careers. Several theories may explain career development. There is no single theory that can explain the complexity of career development.
For individuals seeking international course accreditation in career development practice to work in a global environment with organisations and clients, develop and update their knowledge and skills in career development, or fill a skills gap in their practice.
The course is suitable in various contexts and roles, including schools, education, training, in the workplace in human resources or psychology, and/or experience working in employment, recruitment, outplacement, youth work, apprenticeship, disability and rehabilitation, case management, or management.
- Understand and apply a range of evidence-based career development theories to interpret client situations
- Interpret the individual’s career development within the framework of theories and the context of their life, work, learning, and the uncertainty that reality brings
- Apply career counselling skills with clients to improve your practice
- Administer personality and vocational choice tests on self and others (with permission and confidentiality guidelines) to gain experience at testing, interpreting, and providing feedback to clients
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and apply a range of theories to client situations. The theories include: Traits and types, Lifespan and Chaos Theory of Careers
- Design a concept map that depicts your journey at each stage: Fantasy aged 0-10, Tentative aged 11-17 and Realistic aged 17-early 20s
- Identify your current career and life stage to construct your personal rainbow from the past to the present.
- Reflect on your career aspirations and compromises that you made in your career.
- Identify how chance and opportunity have impacted your career or job opportunity.